Boy dies of E. Coil infection after visiting the Oxford County Fair’s Zoo

Colton-Guay-E.-coli

After visiting the Oxford County Fair’s Zoo, two boys were rushed to the hospital as they were infected by E. Coil bacteria. It is believed that the two boys caught the bacteria by touching some of the animals in the zoo.

Among the two boys, one of the boys named Colton Guay a 20 month old passed away last Monday. The other boy Myles Jacob Herschaft, a 17 month old boy is being treated at the Maine Medical Center.

Colton Guay died of complications from hemolytic uremic syndrome, caused by E. Coil. Colton’s father said that his boy had severed diarrhea after the visit form zoo, a symptom that worried him.

“It is believed that he contracted it through simple interaction with farm animals at a local fair. It began with severe diarrhea and ended with massive brain seizures that ultimately took his life,” his father Jon wrote on Facebook.

Myles Jacob is in a critical condition, his parents said. His family has started a fund- raise campaign to try to save Myles, and also to raise awareness on this matter.

“He is fighting a very serious illness called Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS) which is a condition that results from the abnormal premature destruction of red blood cells. Once the process begins, the damaged red blood cells start to clog the filtering system in the kidneys, which has caused life-threatening kidney failure,” one of the family members wrote on the website of campaign.

This family member also said that Myles is looking for long hospitalization, and his parent, named Victor and Kaitlyn Herschaft ware always by his side. The message on the website concludes by finally saying that the Herschaft are doing everything they can do to help the parents.

“It is difficult. It is tragic to see the loss of a vibrant, obviously healthy child. I think they would do all they could to make sure people were aware of what to watch for and what to look for. It is hard to say if whether talking or telling people about it whether it would have affected the outcome unfortunately for this kid and I think the concerns are certainly raised now for families,” said Dr. Ryan, from the Maine Medical Center.

According to WCSH6, doctors said that it is difficult for doctors to spot cases of E. Coil, because many children come to them with similar symptoms. Some people complained about the fact that there is lack of information provided by doctors when the rumors of the two kids infected began. They said that they couldn’t make an official announcement until doctors had their tests doe and got sure of the results.

Another fact that hasn’t been proved is whether this kids got infected in the zoo, or some place else. Researchers said that they will investigate the matter and make sure and warn the rest of the people of any dangers.

“My son’s story has been shared around the country. If Colton’s story can save just one child’s life, then he has done his job,” said the father of Colten, Guay.

Authors
Top