Concerning Number of Kids Poisoned by Detergent Packets

"laundry packets"

While we all know that children are extremely sensitive and that the younger babies are the more fragile they are, it would seem like some parents have to relearn that lesson. Sure, we all know that bad parenting is still a thing, but it’s not just bad parenting that can lead to a dangerous situation.

Even one moment of not paying attention, and your child could end up intubated on a hospital table, or even worse. And according to a new study published on Monday in the journal Pediatrics, the situation is only getting worse, as there is a concerning number of kids poisoned by detergent packets.

Between 2013 and 2014, reports show that there has been a strange increase in the number of children ending up in an emergency having to have their stomachs pumped or to be intubated because of being in unsupervised contact with a regular household product – laundry detergent packets.

The study shows an increase in the percentage of as much as seventeen percent for laundry detergent, and a fourteen percent increase in dish detergent packages. As many as 62,000 calls were made to U.S. poison control centers in 2014 after children under the age of six ingested some of the chemicals.

According to the study’s lead author, Dr. Gary Smith of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio,

There is no reason why children should be rushed to hospitals in a coma and with swelling down their lungs and we have to intubate them. There’s no reason why children should die when we have effective, safer alternatives for detergents.

They should be kept up away and out of sight of children and preferably in a locked cabinet, because really the time it takes you to pick up a pair of dirty socks and throw them into the laundry is all it’s going to take for a child to put one of these in their mouth, bite down, and have it squirt down their throat.

Some of the symptoms that your child has ingested such a dangerous product are swelling, choking, excessive drooling, coughing, and having difficulty breathing. Unsupervised, kids that accidentally ingest such substances have high chances of ending up in a hospital with cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, pulmonary edema, coma, and even death.

But while ingesting the substances causes the most harm, it’s very likely for the children to suffer horrible effects from exposure with the eyes, gums, or lips. These cases range from simple irritation and redness to potential blindness and permanent marks.

Image source: CNN

Authors

Related posts

*

Top